Depression is a very serious disease. It has no baring on race, gender, or religious beliefs. Depression affects approximately 19 million Americans, or 9.5% of the population in any given one-year period. Depression not only causes suffering to those who are depressed, but it
also causes great difficulty for their family and friends who often do
not know how to help. It is more than sadness or feeling down. It can literally alter a persons life. It effects all aspects of everyday life including eating, sleeping,
working, relationships, and how a person thinks about himself/herself. Now there are many types of depression, and depression effects each person differently, so you should seek help from a mental health expert first to find out what type of depression you have and what treatments are available. However, it is my belief, that you can win the battle of depression and below, I will give you advice based on what worked for me.
First and foremost, you must understand what depression is and the symptoms that accompany people feeling depressed. AllAboutDepression.com states it as follows:
People who are depressed may not experience all of the
following symptoms. Some will have many symptoms, others will have just
a few. The severity of the symptoms may also be different for every
person and even vary over time. If you are experiencing some of these
symptoms or if you have questions about whether you may be depressed or
manic, you should consult with your physician or a qualified mental
health professional. If you or someone you know is considering suicide,
or has made plans to do so, you should seek the help of a mental health
professional or physician immediately.
- Sadness, anxiety, or “empty” feelings
- Decreased energy, fatigue, being “slowed down”
- Loss of interest or pleasure in activities that were once enjoyed, including sex
- Insomnia, oversleeping, or waking much earlier than usual
- Loss of weight or appetite, or overeating and weight gain
- Feelings of hopelessness and pessimism
- Feelings of helplessness, guilt, and worthlessness
- Thoughts of death or suicide, or suicide attempts
- Difficulty concentrating, making decisions, or remembering
- Restlessness, irritability or excessive crying
- Chronic aches and pains or physical problems that do not respond to treatment
For me, as a sufferer of depression for the majority of my life, depression was completely debilitating. It held me hostage no matter how hard I tried to overcome it, it always won. I lost job after job. I hurt family members with my actions. And it got to the point to where it almost cost me my life. However, I am living proof that you can beat it and finally break free from those chains.
For many, depression is brought on by feelings of guilt, failure, or traumatic experiences in ones life. Let me first say this, the feelings of guilt and failure are LIES from Satan. If you are a believer in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, my friend, you have been forgiven. That means that the moment you repented and asked Jesus into your heart, you were forgiven… PERIOD!
Ephesians 1:6-8 6to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves. 7In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace 8that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding.
The hardest thing about forgiveness, is forgiving yourself. But I say unto you my dear friends, that the repeated lies in your mind of past failure, guilt and/or shame are just that.. lies from the mouth of Satan. You see you have been bought and paid for by the blood of Jesus Christ, and your sins have been forgiven.. the chains of bondage have been broken. You must rebuke these lies in the name of Jesus Christ each and every time they repeat. You see Satan has no power over you, so the lies are to distract you from the TRUTH and God’s promise for your life. So you, must put down the chains in order to truly be free. Ask God to help you… and He will. Recognize the lies in your head and set forth on the promises that God has given to you. Here is the verse that I repeat still to this day…
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
God is waiting to pour out his love on you my dear friends and set you free! Here are some helpful hints that I used to help me.
- Pray for the Lord’s strength each and everyday
- Emerge yourself into the Word of God (Bible), (Proverbs & Psalm have a lot of encouragement)
- Get into a church (a body of believers, cultivates the Word of God into lives)
- Find a mentor within the Body of Christ (of the same sex) being able to talk with another believer about struggles and triumphs helps you to grow stronger in your relationship with the Lord.
- Christian music (this is often very up lifting and deals with all different areas of your life) by putting only uplifting music in, you get no trash out….
- Christian radio programs (the more you hear the Word of God the more it radiates into your spirit)
- Journal (even if you don’t like to write, simply jot down in a couple of sentences the struggles and triumphs of each day, then pray over them) keep that journal with you… it will also help you track the progress of your journey.
- Each day, declare God’s promises on your life.. remember to rebuke any lies that Satan tries to distract you with
- Don’t be afraid to face your past and kick it’s butt… (face your past and fears, failures and guilt with an attitude, be bold… you have the power of the Holy Spirit inside you, use it!)
My dear brother and/or sister in Christ, you are precious in His sight and He loves you enough to send His Son Jesus Christ to die for you… Proclaim that Truth with all you are… Be set Free!
Watch the video below…